INDIVIDUAL ORANGE, ALMOND & PISTACHIO SYRUP CAKES
2 small (400g) Navel Oranges, washed
Butter for greasing
200g whole blanched almonds
80g shelled pistachios
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (160g) caster sugar
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon baking powder
Rind and juice of 1 orange
100g caster sugar
1 cup (250ml) water
Orange blossom water
Garnish with edible flowers and reserved chopped pistachios.
Serve with thick Greek yoghurt.
1. To make the cake, place oranges into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for one hour or until oranges are soft and almost breaking apart. Carefully remove with a spoon and set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven 180C/160C (fan forced) and grease six, 150ml capacity Dariole Moulds with butter
3. Fit the Food Processor with the mini-bowl and mini- multipurpose blade. Add almonds and half the pistachios. Flip speed lever to 2 (HIGH); process nuts for 1 minute or until finely ground. Remove min-bowl and set aside.
4. Fit the work bowl with the multipurpose blade and add eggs and sugar. With the speed lever left on 2 (HIGH) position, process mixture for 1-2 minutes or until light , airy and thickened.
5. Add cooled cooked oranges and pulse until broken down and well incorporated.
6. Add ground nuts, spices and baking powder and pulse until evenly mixed into a thick batter.
7. Spoon into prepared moulds and bake 35-40 minutes. Remove and stand for 5 minutes before unmoulding. Serve warm drizzled with syrup and thick Greek yoghurt, garnished with extra pistachios.
8. To make the syrup; combine, rind and juice of orange, sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium high heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and stir through orange blossom water.
Tip: To turn this into a cake, grease and line a 22cm springform tin and bake for 1 and a 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Allow cakes to stand in tin for 5 minutes before unmoulding.
You may also like:
© 2017 The Home